O365 Updates Failed with Error Code 0x80200061(-2145386399)
Actually I have one doubt I have deployed both Office 365 patches and Windows OS patches on monthly basis. After deploying this month and encountered some errors like both OS and O365 patches are failed and I can in console as ” Failed to Install Updates with error code 0x80200061(-2145386399) “
when I retry from Software Centre and it will start downloading and it will stuck 50% and then it will fail with different error codes.
I have checked WUAhandler.log it says scan completed successfully and no errors are there. In updated employment.log it is saying actionable updates or 2 still unable to download and patch.
In Update store log says state is missing updates no errors.
All the possible ways like restarting the SMS host agent , BITS, Windows Update and renaming the software distribution folder and but still facing same issue.
Checked all the boundaries configured properly and SCCM client are supported version.
can someone please check and let me know if anyone faced same kind of issues.
Need to Resolve these issues and facing almost 250+ devices in my environment.
Thank you in advance.