Easiest option to move 2016 LTSC to Windows 11

Question

Hi All,

Easiest option to move 2016 LTSC to Win 11? We have about 50 devices overseas that we want to pivot to Win 11 by the end of the year. And remote / automatable options? They are scattered, no local domains or servers.

Posted by Luke McFadden in HTMD FB Group

lt - HTMD Forum - Welcome to the world of Device Management! This is community build by Device Management Admins for Device Management Admins❤️ Ask your questions!! We are here to help you! - Easiest option to move 2016 LTSC to Windows 11

Answers ( 3 )

2024-06-18T21:57:04+05:30

Replied by MichÆl Courville

I’m doing exactly this with a client (2000 devices) using SCCM… but no one wants to consider it anymore nowadays.. “antiquated and burdensome” they say, but it does the work.

Replied by Keri Saxowsky

We had to do this from ITSB to 10 enterprise. It’s a process. I’ll see if I have any old documentation. I’m not sure if you can go from lTSC to 11. Might have to get it over to pro or enterprise 10 first.

2024-06-18T21:54:53+05:30

Adam Brewer indeed.
    You can upgrade from Windows 10 LTSC to Windows 10 General Availability Channel if you upgrade to the same or a newer build version. For example, Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB can be upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise version 1607 or later. Upgrade is supported using the in-place upgrade process using Windows setup.https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/windows-10-upgrade-paths

Replied by Lukas DeejayTechpro

If the hardware is compatible, In place upgrade. The trick is to add the Pro/Enterprise license key as a parameter for the Setup.exe.

Replied by Aaron Sharp

LTSC does not support feature updates. They will have to be touched somehow.

2024-06-18T21:53:02+05:30

For More Details End of the Windows Server Semi-Annual Channel Era | LTSC is Primary Channel
    https://www.anoopcnair.com/end-of-the-windows-server-semi-annual-channel/

Replied by Per Larsen

Only supported option is wipe and load the OS.

Per Larsen In-place upgrades work, too.

Replied by Adam Brewer

MichÆl Courville “Work” and “are supported” are two different things.

Leave an answer

Sorry, you do not have permission to answer to this question .